Skip to content
Honey Beer Steamed Mussels
- 2.5 pounds mussels
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle of your favorite beer
- 3 tablespoons Taylor Pass honey
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Herb butter baguettes
- 1 large ciabatta baguette
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Keep the mussels refrigerated until you’re ready to use them.
- Once ready, place them in a large bowl of ice-cold water. Scrub the outsides of the mussels and remove the string (or “beard”) by using a towel or paper towel to pull it out.
- Discard any mussels that have opened already. Keep the mussels in the ice water.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Once it’s melted, stir in the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add in the beer and honey, stirring to combine. Add the mussels and toss. - Cover the skillet and cook just until the mussels open and the beer is simmering, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Garnish with the bacon and cilantro.
- Stir the mussels well so the broth makes it into the shells. Serve immediately with the baguettes.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.