Salted Pretzel and Taylor Pass Honey Baklava
Recipe by: Chef Jason Roberts
- 40 sheets filo pastry (2 x 375g or 1 x 1lb pack) thawed , preferably overnight
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups salted pretzels
- Dried rose petals (optional)
- 250gm/ 1/2 lb unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Taylor Pass Honey
- Preheat oven to 160C / 325F.
- In a 9 x 13"" baking pan, cut filo to fit.
- Keep pastry covered with a damp tea towel at all times.
- Place walnuts and pretzels in a food processor, pulse a few times or until you have fine crumbs - but NOT powder.
- Brush base of pan with butter. Lay over one sheet of filo. Brush with butter.
- Repeat to use 10 sheets, brushing every single sheet with butter. Scatter over 3/4 cup walnuts.
- Cover with 5 sheets of filo, brushing every sheet with butter. Top with 3/4 cup walnuts. Repeat 3 more times.
- Cover with 10 sheets of filo, brushing every sheet with butter, including the final layer.
- Cut the baklava into 4 long strips, then cut on the diagonal to make diamonds.
- Bake for an hour or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place syrup ingredients into a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer, stir to dissolve sugar. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately pour over cool syrup.
- Leave to soak for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Check to ensure each piece is cut all the way through, then serve. Keeps for a week.... though it probably won't last that long.