Taylor Pass Honey Chocolate Cake
- 4.4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate roughly chopped, 125g
- 1/2 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon, 125g
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Taylor Pass honey (113g)
- 3/4 cup milk (180ml)
- 1 cup sugar (200g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (25g)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Ganache:
- 10.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (300g)
- 1 cup cream (250ml)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan and line the bottom.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the chocolate and butter and microwave until in 30 second bursts (stirring every time in between) until melted. This should take about 90 - 120 seconds.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined. Add the honey, milk and sugar and whisk well. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake will rise quite a bit but it should NOT overflow. Once the baking time is up it will still feel very soft and it will also lose some height, especially in the center.
- Once the cake has cooled, level the top with a sharp knife.
- Make the ganache by combining the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan.
- Gently heat over medium-low heat while stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Once the chocolate has completely melted and the mass is smooth, cool to room temperature before coating the cake.
- Allow the ganache to settle before slicing.